Cannole is a
very small village but there is a beautiful castle. It probably dates to the
1413 and was
several times. On the stately façade the tourist can admire the huge ashlar
portal. Inside the castle there is a refined eighteenth-century fountain In the
historic centre there are some palaces of the 16th and 17th
century and the typical ‘case a corte’. The Mother Church dates to the 16th
century but its altars date to the 17th and 18th century.
It has a Latin Cross plan, some baroque altars and beautiful eighteenth-century
paintings. Outside the urban area there is a typical fortified farm called
Masseria Torcito. It dates to the 13th century and was a real village
on its own where farmers and shepherds used to live. It was later ruled by the
Castromedianos, the Sambiases, the Mancarellas, the Palmieris, the Personès and
the Lubellis. The patron saints of Cannole are St Vincenzo Ferreri celebrated on
August 2nd and Our Lady of Constantinople celebrated on August 1st.
The people of
Cannole have two nicknames: “Turchi” (Turks) and “cuzzari” (snail eaters). The
nickname refers to the miracle of Our Lady of Constantinople, when the
appearance of the Virgin saved the people of Cannole. The second nickname refers
to the fact that the people of Cannole love to eat snails. They also love to
cook them always in new ways as they show in the “sagra dellu municeddhu” (the
feast of the snails) on August 10th , 11th and 12th.