The civic coat of arms
of Supersano has a violet background with a thick wood. On the left side there
of grapes while on the right side there are two small branches of olive tree.
Until 1971 the civic coat of arms consisted of a huge oak-tree that was in the
wood of Belvedere. The old menhir ‘Coelimanna’ dates to the prehistory. We are
not certain about the origins of the village but we van advance two hypothesis:
it was probably founded by some Greek colonists or by a group of shepherds
attracted by good climate and vegetation. In this case the name of the village
would derive from the Latin words ‘super sanum’ , that means healthy
environment. When the Normans came the village was included in the County of
Lecce , then in the Principality of Taranto. It was later ruled by the
D’Aragonas, the Carafa Del Traettos and the Gallones. The village was sacked by
several barbarian populations. Among the famous people of Supersano we remember
Michele Frascaro. He was born in 1837 and was a school teacher. He was very
important for all his pupils, wrote several books and died at 74.