centre of Caprarica is rich in ‘case a corte’. The imposing baronial castle was
built in the
century when Antonio Guarini decided to protect the village from the invaders.
The castle was built on a pre-existing fortified tower. It was embellished in
the 15th century by the Giustinianis with elegant decorations. The
portal is very interesting so much as the decorations of the balconies. The
Mother Church is dedicated to St Nicola and has been built only recently. It is
aisleless and in Modern style. It was built after the demolition of the old
Mother Church in 1958 because it was seriously damaged by a cyclone in 1884. The
small Chapel of the Crucifix was built in the 18th century according
to the will of Fabiano Giustiniani. It has a Latin Cross plan, the façade is
very simple and there is a nice bell tower. The Church of St Mary and the Church
of Our Lady of the Carmine date both to the 17th century. Caprarica
is surrounded by olive groves and therefore in the village there are some old
oil mills. Outside the urban area there is an old fortified farm called
Masseria Murrone. It was built in the 16th century and has a small
Chapel dedicated to St Francis. The patron saint of Caprarica is St Nicola
solemnly celebrated in May.
of the people of Caprarica di Lecce is “goats”. Apparently this should be
tool used in the oil mills. According to another legend, the nickname was
created in the period of the Turks invasions when the people of Caprarica hid
among the goats in order to escape the persecutions.