a small village under the administration of Alessano. The rocky centre of
old. There are several caves and underground oil mills with rests of frescos.
They were probably build by some Greek monks to avoid the persecutions of Leone
III Isaurico. The name of the village would come from the Greek words “tracheion
oros” and the Latin “mons arduus” both meaning ‘steep slope’. In the Middle Ages
the village had stately walls to protect it and four doors: : Porta Castello,
Porta La Terra, Porta Nova and Porta Lo Chiuso but they were destroyed in 1867.
In Montesardo there were important schools of Philosophy, Mathematics, Music and
Letters. In the feudal period the village was ruled by the De Meniacos, the
Gagliardis, the De Pietravaldas, by De Amendolia Del Balzo, the Gonzagas, the
Braydas, the Delli Falconis and the Caracciolo di Maranos. Among the famous
people of Montesardo we remember: Belisario Balduino (Bishop), Girolamo Balduino
(philosopher), Gervasio Melcarne (musician) and Antonio Mezzatinta (philosopher