|Inhabitants' name: Guagnanesi
The civic coat of arms
of Guagnano is marked by a blue background and it represents a meadow, a
horse riding at full gallop and behind a stately pine. There are no historical
documents about the first urban centre. According to some historians it was made
build by the Orsini del Balzos, Princes of Taranto, in the XIV century.
Probably the people were attracted by the good climate and the fertile land. At
the beginning of the XVI century the casale was rich and important and
it included the feuds of Materano, Acquarolo, Ponticello and Pucciano. Guagnano
was governed by a lot of feudal vassals as the Sambiasis, the Zurlos, the
Paladinis, the Galateos, the Lopezs, the Santoros, the Matteis and the
Albrizzis. The last vassals were the Dukes of Cutrofiano, the Filomarinos, that
ruled this centre until 1806. There are several important native
characters as : Luigi Degli Atti, Silvestro Passante, Angelo Cornito, Marsilio
Memmo, Scipione Monaco Giacomo Candido e Enrico Erriquez.
Erriquez belonged to a noble family of the XVII century and he was appointed
Bishop by the Pope Benedict XIV. He became an Apostolic delegate in Madrid, at
the Court of the King Phillip V of Spain. When he was 52 years old he was
elected Cardinal and he died at Ravenna after only three years. Giacomo Candido
lived between the XIX and the XX centuries and, after graduating in mathematics
with excellent votes, he started teaching at Galatina. He was headmaster in
many schools at Brindisi, Campobasso and Matera. He died in his own village when
he was 70 years old.