Home
Home
Mappa Virtuale del Salento
I Comuni
Natura
Gastronomia
Cerca nel Sito
PubblicitÓ sul Portale
Bibliografia Portale
Mappa del Sito
Help
Scegli il Comune e visita


www.massimochirivi.net

 

 

Gallipoli boasts the presence of several monuments of elevated artistic value, that each year contribute, together to the crystalline sea, to increase the number of the tourists. today the old part of Gallipoli is attached to theSan Francesco d'Assisi's Church modern one through a bridge that was built in 1603, and that 150.000 dukedoms cost; in the past it was restored a lot of times. The old citadel is fourteen meters above the sea level, completely surrounded by the walls where there is an imposing castle that, probably, was planned by Francesco Giorgio Martini from Siena. After some restorations it has became a real fortress. At Gallipoli you can also admire some wonderful palaces. Tafuri Palace was built in the XVIII century in rococo style: now is uninhabited, but in the past it belonged to the famous painter Giulio Pagliano. Doxi Palace, also rococo, was planned by Adriano Preite in the XVIII century. Also Palace del Seminario was planned by Preite, and it was made build in 1756 by the Bishop Branconi. Ravenna Palace, in Neoclassical style, was planned by Gregorio Consiglio in 1828. D' Ospina Palace was restored in the XVIII century, and here Antonietta de Pace and her sister Maria Rosa were born. Episcopal Palace was made restructure in 1653 by the Bishop Massa; inside you can see the painting representing the Virgin with the Child by Gianserio Strafella. Many other palaces are the historical centre, like: Zacheo Palace, Balsamo Palace (XVII century), Arlotta Palace (XIX century), Pasca Palace , Muzio Palace, Talamo Palace (XVII century), Venneri Palace (XVII century), Munittola Palace, Inside of St Teresa's ChurchRomito Palace , De Tomasi Palace, Cal˛ Palace , etc. Other typical constructions of Gallipoli are the case a corte, houses where the rooms were built on the first floor that could be reached thanks to a characteristic staircase. The underlying space was the corte, where people used to meet and spend much time. An other work of inestimable artistic value is the Ellenistica Fountain, considered the oldest of all the fountains in Italy. It is made up of the coat of arms of the Asburgos of Spain, the civic coat of arms of the country and marvelous sculptures representing three legendary stories: that of Salmace, Dirce and Biblide. We do not know when it was built: it was restored in 1560 and in 1765. The people of Gallipoli are very proud of it, that is why they look at it as the symbol of their town. The historical centre also boasts the presence of a very interesting and suggestive oil press that, each year, attracts numerous visitors. The most important religious building is the Parish dedicated to St. Maria del Canneto: it is with nave and two aisles and it was built in the XVII century; inside you can see some wonderful altars, a very particular ceiling representing the Madonna, a statue of St. Nicola and a precious eighteen century painting representing St. Vito and St. Nicola. In the historical centre there is the Cathedral in baroque style. It was made restore in 1629 by a rich physician of that time, Giacomo Lazari. It has a fašade richly decorated; it is with nave and two aisles, and what most strikes the visitor's attention are the splendid paintings. The artists who made ,in baroque style, the paintings are Nicola Malinconico from Naples, Andrea Coppola and Domenico Catalano. Their most famous works are: The Martyrdom of St Agata, the Souls of the Purgatory, the Trinity and the Madonna with the Child. The Church of St. Domenico of the Rosary was restored in 1700 after the plan of Valerio Margoleo. The nave has got an octagonal plant; the altar of St. Domenico of Guzman, is made of golden wood, and it was realized by Giorgio Aver. The Church of the Purity was built between 1659 and 1666, and it has a very sober fašade withPortal of Saint Peter and Saint Paul Church unusual tiles representing St. Francis, St. Joseph and the Virgin Mary. On the contraty the interns are very decorated and full of splendid paintings. The Church of St Chiara was built at the end of the XVI century as the Monastery, that was destroyed in 1971. Inside the church you can admire the wonderful altars decorated by the Catalano. The Church of the Carmine was rebuilt on a pre-existing building in 1838, and it was planned by Vito Donato from Galatone. Inside ithere is a painting made by Giulio Pagliano representing the "Compianto" near the Cross. The Church of St Maria of the Angels was made build by the fishermen: the fašade is simple and there are four precious eighteen-century works made by the painter Diego Bianchi. The Church of the Immaculate dates back to the XVIII century and inside there are some interesting paintings (made by the painter of Lecce, Tiso) representing Tobias' life. The Church of St Teresa of Altavilla, together to the attached Monastery of the Carmelitane, was finished in 1690, as the Spanish bishop Perez Della Lastra wanted. The Church of the Crucifix was built in the XVIII century: it was planned by the lieutenant Carlo Mult˛ and it is in baroque style. The Church of St. Francis of Assisi was restored in 1736: it is known as the Church of the Malladrone because of the statue, by Vespasiano Genuino. Sanctuary of St Mary of the Cane ThicketThis sculpture represents the crucifixion of Christ, but its particularity lies in the sneer of pain and of disgust of the face of the statue. The imposing fašade has a stately portal, surmounted by an enormous arc. The Church of St. Francis of Paola was built in the XVII century: it has got a sober fašade, but the intern is richly decorated and there are a lot of eighteen-century paintings by Vespasiano Genuino and Oronzo Miccoli and a seventeenth-century wooden altar. Getting out of the inhabited centre there are some ancient abbeys like that of St. Salvatore of Gallipoli and of St. Mauro. We do not know when the former was built, but according to some historical documents in 1347 the Archbishop of Otranto appointed a man, called Niceforo, abbot. The rests of the paintings date back to the XIV century. Currently, the whole building is in bad conditions. About the Abbey of St. Mauro we do not have certain data, but according to some historical documents in 1149 the religious people living there received some donations, but at the end of 1400 nobody was in. The Abbey of St. Peter of the Samari was restored inBelltower of St Agata's Church 1148 by Ugo of Lusingano and, currently, it is in a state of abandonment. In the surrounding country you can see some fortified farms, thick constructions where in the past there where towers, drawbridges, etc. Almost all of them were built in the same period, between the end of 1400 and the beginnings of 1500. The most important ones are: St. Giorgio Farm, Itri Farm, St. Leonardo Farm and St. Mauro Farm. Going from the historical centre towards the sea there is the small Island of St Andrea; it covers a surface of around fifty hectares, and it is two meters above the sea level. On the island there is an old lighthouse( 1866 -1974). Gallipoli has three protectors: St. Sebastian, that is celebrated each year on January 20th, St Agata that is celebrated on February 5th, and St Cristina, that is celebrated on July 24th. 

 

 

 

The nhabitants of Gallipoli are known as "ciucci" that means donkeys. This is not a negative nickname, but it Portal of the Rosary Churchmakes reference to the amount of work done by the people of Gallipoli due to the presence of the harbour. In fact, after that of Naples, the harbour of Gallipoli was considered the most important of the South of Italy. Thanks to it the trade of the agricultural goods, above all of the oil, increased all over in Europe. An other eccentric nickname is "¨ttari," coming from "barrel". In fact, when the people of Gallipoli started to deal in oil, they noticed that in the cold regions it got solid. So they made some cheap barrels that were used only for the transport.

 

www.massimochirivi.net