|Inhabitants' name: Corsanesi
coat of arms of Corsano has a yellow background with two snakes twisting
together and a
heart. In the territory of Corsano people found coins and graves of the Roman
period. Some scholars think that the village was founded by the Roman centurion
Curzio who won the land for the courage he had shown as a soldier. It could have
been founded in the 9th – 10th century during the
Byzantine period. Other scholars think that the village was founded by those who
survived the Saracen destruction of Vagliano and Macorano, two small villages in
the nearby. The Norman king Tancredi D’Altavilla gave this territory to Fabiano
Securo. In 1463 the village was included in the Principality of Taranto. It was
then ruled by William from Corsano. In the 14th century the village
was ruled by Landolfo Di Luca D’Aquino. From the end of this century until 1636
the village was ruled by Lucrezia Bellante, the De Frisis, the De Capuas, the
Filomarinos, the Sicuros and the Cicalas. The last family to rule the village
were the Capeces. Among the famous people from Corsano we remember: Giuseppe
Licchetta lived between the 18th and the 19th century. He took his degree in Law
and became an appreciated judge.
He taught in the University of Catanzaro and worked in the Court of Salerno.
Biagio Daggico lived in the 18th century, was a good
priest and a brilliant man of arts. Oronzo Cosi was born in 1777, he studied in
Naples then specialized in Philosophy, Mathematics and Medicine. He taught in
the University of Naples and wrote several books. Francesco Raona was a
brilliant philosopher and physician.