OF THE COMMUNE OF UGGIANO LA CHIESA
Casamassella is the only
small village under the administration of
Uggiano la Chiesa. Probably the village was founded by the
had escaped from the destruction of the Castro Hamlet. The first
certain news about this small village date back to 1669, when the Randachi
family governed it. The last vassals were the De Marco, that ruled it until
1806. The most well-known local people are Antonio De Viti De Marco, who lived
between the XIX and the XX centuries and, after graduating in Law, he became a
important statesman and politician. an interesting monument to visit is the
Castle, an imposing XVIII century fortress. The Mother Church, dedicated to St.
Michael Archangel, dates to the XVI century. The façade has a very simple
portal, surmounted by a big window. Inside there are some valuable paintings
representing holy images.