The Senape De Pace
Palace dates to the 18th century as well as Castriota Palace. Tafuri
the same period and it is now the Civic Messapic Museum where people can see the
finds discovered in this territory during the archaeological excavations. The
archaeological park is actually very close to the Museum and people can still
visit some ancient graves dating to the 4th century B.C.The Mother
Church is dedicated to Our Lady of the Sorrow. It was built between 1838 and
1875 on a pre-existing structure of the 12th century by the Eng.
Lorenzo Turco. Its façade is finely decorated with a
beautiful portal, while inside there are some interesting altars and paintings.
The Tower of the Watch was built between 1838 and 1840. The Sanctuary of Our
Lady of the Lizza is another interesting religious building. It dates to the 13th
century. The style of the imposing tower looks
similar to other French monuments of the same period. In the 14th
century Gallipolis was besieged by the Angevins and the Sanctuary became
Episcopal see. The portal of the sanctuary and its Gothic arch are very
interesting. Inside there are some elegant altars, old frescos and paintings
attributed to Catalano and Coppola.In the countryside around Alezio the tourist
can visit some fortified farms called ‘masserie’.The population of Alezio is
very devoted to Our Lady of the Assumption and they celebrate her on August 15th
The nickname of the
people of Alezio is “picciuttari” , it does not mean anything but it was the
of Francesco Alemanno, a generous landowner of the 18th century who
gave his farmers some land to cultivate or to build their houses on.